Greetings,

What do you think would be more practical?

1.) Have a 2nd rebuild done on my 235.5 CI Straight Six - 57 Chevy - 3 on the column; or

2.) Replace the Motor with a 350 Crate?

Here is the background.

Sraight Six Situation Now
===================
I had the motor rebuilt in 1998. Now it is making a loud clanking noise that seems to me to be very internal towards the lower part of the block. At first I thought that the problem was pushrod or lifter related. According to my mechanic, who has worked on the car for serveral years, the lifters and pushrods are fine. He is not sure what the problem is. He mentioned that it could be bearing-related. However, he would not know without having the engine torn down to a point.This noise is gettting progressively worse it seems each time I drive the car.

Now I am emotionally involved with this engine and honestly do not want to part with it unless it is truly necessary. I have just put a lot of myself and parts into it and feel too attached. Just a couple of months ago, I got the fenton intake shaved down and added two of Tom Langdon's progressive Weber carbs. I am really happy with that setup. I only have about 100 miles on the car with that setup. Thus another reason why I do not want to let the engine go.

I am guessing that a rebuild will cost me around 3 grand. I believe I paid 2 grand in 1998. And yes; I am too emotionally tied.

350 Crate Motor
=============

My mechanic enjoys working on the six. However, over the years he has suggested that I give thought to a crate 350. Carbeurated is an alternative. Then there is fuel injection. I realize that in terms of parts, fuel economy, etc., that the 350 route does have some advantages. There is the new/reused option too. Depending on a six rebuild or a crate, the prices might not be too dissimiar. I know that I could keep my tranny and would need a few extra things to make a 350 swap work.

My Take
======
I guess for anyone this would be a personal decision. However, I wonder does it make sense to have an engine torn down and rebuilt a 2nd time? Then again maybe when the block is partially torn down, the problem could be discovered, fixed, and things could be put back together without going through an entire rebuild.

I would love to hear what thoughts you all may have.

Thanks in advance.

Eddie
edwardl301@aol.com or here.