I had a '54 chevy 235 in high school. Summer before senior (1962) year, I put in a 261 pretty much stock just dual exhaust. Both my '54 235 buddies bought '57 bel aire hardtops that summer, I could stay with 2 bbl Powerglide '57, but no way with the 4 bbl stick '57, and both '57 hardtop's looks made my old 210 2-door kinda blush.

Now another buddy had a 150 '57 2-door with a good 235 and stickshift- when he put twin 1 bbls on it ,it became nearly an even match for me, I would put it on him at every shift, but he would wind out and catch up at top end of each gear. So the old 235 with some carbs can be a bit fun against bigger inch cars, and if you jump out in front of one (and got some glasspaks)He wont know his name until he can get past you. Its especially sweet if the guy has his girlfriend with him. (She says" I thought you said he was only a six and would be easy to beat him...he says shut up and drink your cherry, pink fuzz limeaid coke!!))

So what does that mean? I'd say if you got a light body '57 and run 3.55/3.70 gears maybe I'd still stick with the old stovebolt-'cause if you beat someone, THEY WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE ABOUT IT! It will be such a sweet victory. Rebuild it with an old time "3/4 race" cam-that will be an ally to the carbs. And must have very loud pipes to really bring on the attention (but careful-you may have to pay the city a few dues) I know a good set of Smitthy steels can rattle plate glass storefronts on a hot day! And set off car alarms--OOOH Lordy!

And nooobody can generate much whoopla about the nine millionth 350/'57 chevy in town.

As they say, thats my two cents!