Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
[
Hank, you sound more confused this time than the other times you've been told the same thing. Nobody said the 194 head couldn't be made to work, in stock form it is not a good swap, with work in the ports and unshrouding valves it will work but you can start with a better head and end with a better performing product by using a 250 or 292 head.. Cough up a few dollars and purchase a set of the dyno test results from Tlowe and see it in black and white. A direct swap of a stock 194 head onto a 250 will not gain you any power, mothballs in the gas tank are in the same catagory.

jalopy45,

not confused @ all really, but when you post something that does not make sense & was never spoken about here, " The problem if you look a sectional view is poor port design,"
I was thinking I must have missed this dicussion or???

I will say it again, when I had a ported 250 head ,larger valves, I had appox 9:0 compression, then I installed a 194 cylinder head, w/1.85" intake & 1.60" exhaust valve w/minor port work,(I did not touch the chamber walls trying to achieve maximum compression) & milled the head which gave me 12:0 compression ratio, it was the BEST my car ever ran & made gobs more torque everywhere.

The engine had 220-230 psi of cranking pressure & ran fine on pump gas, 91 octane.
The pistons stick out of the bore .002"-.004" of positive deck height.

With the 194 cyl head, it was really unbelieveable how great it ran.

I ran @ the track w/my 250 cyl head & ran 14.3 seconds ( have time slip),which I heard would be a standing record today.
For me, running a 14.3 in the 1/4 mile was slow, this was my daily driver & I thought geees, man my 6 is slow.
I lost most of my races, I was always up against V-8's.

Granted, I did not run @ a track w/the 194 cyl head,,, but I did race against friends cars that went to tracks on a regular basis.
So not a great comparision but it was much much faster w/the 194 cyl head.

My testing was done on the track & streets, not dyno testing, which I believe is not a good indication how an engine is going to run in a vehicle. Good for tuning & bragging rights, but it's not the same. IMO.

When Tlowe shows me he can make a 6 cyl go fast as a direct result of the dyno tests,then maybe I'll think about purchasing info.
Not disrespecting him, just saying...

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI