without going to a pontiac ohc website, suffice to say practically all pre-smog Q-jets used ,071 primary jets and varied the metering rod size. when used on '66 chev 327s the metering rod was a .045 (.046s would have a slight stumble-factory tech bulletin--back when the factories were concerned with drivability and smoothness), 396s would use.044 rods. If you can find these rods/jets these days, the above would be a fair starting point.

If I remember correctly, the pontiac ohc sizes were not too far away-but you need to check for the pre '68 stuff . In the smog era they generally went to stranger rod/jet combos that I would'nt trust to recommend for our type of rods as they were generally quite a bit leaner due to the emissions"dangers" (kinda like Gore's "global warming"-yeah, yeah- I've seen the brown air-but are you gonna believe me, or your lying eyes?)and you dont want to have to use all the ugly heated air cleaner plumbing to make them not stumble.

I had a four bbl pontiac manifold setup once, all cast iron and was heaaavy. I found no easy way to "adapt" it to the chevy bolt pattern.

BINGO!!

- Tom Lowe, or Marc, this is the intake manifold we need cast up in aluminum for the 194/292 motors-this would end the offy/clifford squabbling forever (might be good for a carb version of the 4200 with a little plumbing work-totally diff casting).

It would have superior bottom end performance due to the Q-Jet and match any clifford at the top end-you could use cast it like clifford and use a system of carb adapters like clifford so the holley diehards could use it too, as well as an adapter for a two bbl. Maybe an adapter to add hot water carb heat plumbing to bottom of manifold (stock they followed standard inline practice of bolting the intake to the exhaust for carb heat).

There is nothing to be ashamed of, or scared of, using a Q-jet - you cant be over carbed due to the adjustable secondary air valve (well maybe on a Crosley four banger-but Doug Roe used one on a turbo'd chevette 1400 motor), and this is a 750 to 800 cfm carb.

To answer why there aint no Q-Jet manifolds-I think its too small of an interest thing, folks are too scared of Q-Jets to fork over dough for one, and cliffords were designed before Q-Jets were around so no adapters worth a ____ were possible to adapt to them.

And some folks think of 3.08s as the only way to milage.