My Chevy 250 has just been completely overhauled, which includes a new camshaft. The car will not be out of the body shop for at least a couple of months.

Since the body is still under restoration, the engine will be ready to run well before the car is ready. I'm thinking of doing the initial cam break-in on an engine cradle such as http://www.eastwood.com/underhood-engine/engine-dollies.html . I'll use the original carb and distributor, so that I'm not trying to tune the Megasquirt at the same time as breaking in the cam.

Since the Chevy 6 oil pump is driven by the distributor shaft, and I plan to use EDIS with the MS, I plan to cut the top off of the original distributor and use the bottom portion to drive the pump. Naturally, I would face the shaft a bit shorter than the housing so there would be enough room to plug the hole.

Once the break-in is done on the engine cradle, I could then remove the distributor and do the machine work before the engine goes in the car. I'll be using an EDIS ignition system, so my plan is to get that working on the stand, using the Carburetor (one change at a time).

After I get the EDIS working, I could replace the carb with the Throttle Body and tune the idle and warm-up part of the MS injection. That way, when the engine goes into the car, all I should have to do is work on the final EFI tuning.

So, that's my plan. I welcome any suggestions.

Last edited by 65BlueTwo; 01/05/13 05:56 PM. Reason: Fix Link

Homer