Well finally road tested the 4L80 today - the trans is working well - just a little clean up to do.

FYI - the same engine - transmission adapter plate can be used to bolt up any transmission that will bolt up to a 230/292 or SBC/BBC or LS engine. Flywheels are available from Jerry W.

Non 4l60E (these are native to the factory engine install and don't need any special parts) automatics bolt in using the 4200 flex plate, the block to trans adapter plate and t/c spacer. The starter location stays in the 4200 position, the starter itself gets replaced with a tilton with a billet adapter from Pohill Racing Inovations.

The reason for the starter change is to avoid having to cut a relief for the 4200 stock starter nose in the 1 O'clock position in the mating bell housing.

If you have a big enough TIG and fab equipment then you could add a bump to the bell and forgo the starter - just watch the distortion when welding - the bell is about 1/4 to 5/16" thick. Suggest you have it bolted to a engine block while welding.

Adapter plate and T/C spacer will be up on my web page shortly. One more piece of the puzzle done.

Some pix I took along the way

4l80 to 4200

Starter - tilton with adapter LH, stock RH

Pix of the install once I get the truck back up in the air.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/06/13 10:38 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them