Okay, I'm sold! Small port head it is! Thank you so much for the detailed responses! It's exactally what I was looking for!

Don: I just printed out the form, I may turn out to be your youngest member at 17 years old! I can see what your saying about keeping my options open. I am one of the "learn by mistake" guys too. I'll keep trying to get ahold of the guy with the 302 head. How much would a "good price" be? My guy said his was boiled, magnafluxed and pressure tested with hardened exhaust seats. $600?

Beater of the Pack: Wow! Cool Truck! 17mpg and 75mph is perfect for me! My motor is out of a 1956 GMC 1/2 ton.

Titen: Perfect! Boy, that's good news!

Some other questions: Any recomendations on what I should do to the head? So far, it has been boiled, magnafluxed and had hardened seats put in it. (Done before I found out about the big port option.) I plan on putting the bigger Powerglide valves in it, milling a 3 angle grind on the intake and exhaust valves for better flow, and ROSS high-dome light weight cast aluminum pisons. I also plan on using the big port, single barrel, dual carb intake and the port matching trick that you, Beater of the Pack, posted on the "GMC 302 intake on 270 engine + carb choice?" thread a couple of months ago. (Video) I also plan on spending some time with a grinder and smoothing out the ports as much as I can. Am I doing this right? Any reccomendations???

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the advice!

Pete

P.S. Should I post a thread on the engine/car build? If anyone's interested, here's the link to the build thread I have on the HAMB website: 1940 Chevrolet Coupe Build Thread

--Peter Gray: #6073--

"If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson