There is always someone on the HAMB willing to argue. Here too for that matter. Let them believe what they want. Here is the deal. If you modify an engine you must have a purpose in mind a goal. If the goal is 200 mph+ at Bonneville your engine build will not be the same as someone trying to turn a 9 second quarter mile. Neither of those engines would serve you very well on the street. They would be useless in town, burn tons of fuel, load up at low rpm and over heat in traffic. California Bill covers this in his book. You must be honest with yourself about what you want your engine to do and build it for that expectation. The components must work together so that each is a complement to the next. This takes thought and a plan. The whole intake side is a balance game. The factory strove for power and economy. They used single throat carbs and fairly small ports and valves working to maintain good velocity into the cylinder. The 302 had big ports.1 3/4",a 2 bbl carb and a governor. The big ports are only needed at wide open throttle. At all other times they tend to slow velocity and allow fuel to fall out of the mixture. Putting a big runner manifold between multiple carbs and small ports and valves makes little sense. Remember our engines are air pumps not fuel pumps. You can get all the fuel you need with one single bbl. You can increase valve size like Don suggested with mild porting achieve 9.0 to 9.5 compression with pistons,decking and head shaving, the right cam ground for your use, a good exhaust system. two carbs of the right size and strong ignition you will be happy and once it is together and running strong you can tell the pundits it's a "full race" 302. Most won't know the difference. A lot of folks have done otherwise and like what the have. There is no one way. Thats the beauty. I wonder how many of those experts I passed on my way to the Roundup a few years ago?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain