Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I went over and read that and I don't think I disagree with what was said. The big port heads will make tremendous power at at low rpms and through the full rpm range especially at full throttle. The problem is smooth transition from part throttle to full and back or smooth running at any position without flat spots. I have run big port heads on the street but I don't think I gained drivability. That's why I say if you can get the big head for the future it may be a good idea. If I passed someone it wasn't that Fox guy, he knows his stuff! \:D

This root issue here is air flow velocity, especially if your running carbs which need the flow velocity to generate fuel signal. The long intake manifold makes for variable signal response especially at the end cylinders. Big cam big carb - stomp on it at low RPM and it'll fall on its face. Since this is intended to be a street engine you don't want to have to crappy low end response.

If you put the fuel delivery right at the port though > 90% of this goes away.

Big head, small to medium cam beats a small head big cam any day of the week.

In 1996 Chevy bolted the first set of factory high flow heads on the SBC - power and economy went up. Compared to the previous old style SBC head the L31 vortec heads outflowed them by >30%. power jumped close to 80HP - with nearly the same cam shaft timing.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them