Check timing. Check carburetor float level. Correct as necessary, then adjust idle speed and mixture screw alternatively until you get decent idle speed, smooth and steady. Basically, starting with an almost closed mixture screw, start turning it OUT 1/3 or 1/2 turn at a time and wait to see how the idle changes. If the idle speed kicks up higher, keep turning. Once you find a spot where the idle didn't go up as you turned the last 1/2 turn, go BACK and leave it there. It'll be close enough.

Assuming hydraulic lifters: Adjust valves with the engine running at idle. It's not THAT messy, but it's more accurate. You do NOT want to end up with valves too tight, where the lifters are out of range and holding the valves cracked open when they should be closed. While idling, loosen up the adjuster until you start hearing valve clearance noise. Then turn back in until it gets quiet, and then another 1/2 to full turn in. Idle will change every time you make a change, so wait for it to settle.

That said, I had to hunt for a "miss" for a long time, never got it to run perfect... turned out all the valves were leaking a little and one cam lobe was more than half way worn down. Measure how far the valves actually open, to find any that may differ greatly from others. Hydraulic lifters would mask the wear.

Hopefully others here will add to and correct what I wrote, I'm going by shoddy memory and being too lazy to hit the books. Sorry \:\) Got two little kids running around who need attention