I really worry about the 9 lbs. of compression you got on all six cylinders! Maybe its 90 lbs? Or is it some metric measurement like hectobars or som'thin'?

The vacuum opening partway up the carb was for a timed vacuum advance system. This opening is ABOVE the throttle butterfly and has no vacuum at idle. As the throttle is opened vacuum will appear at this port and thus vacuum for the distributor. I personally like my distributor to be supplied with vacuum from the lower (manifold vacuum) port. This way the motor will have a higher ignition advance at idle and in turn a stronger, more stable idle. Get a Doug Roe Rochester carb book from amazon he has a good section on explaining the Monojet's workings an' you will be able then to "cast out the smog control devils" from it and turn the Mono into a VERY nice carb--try to order a Vacuum gage as you will need it to check and alter the power piston cut-in point which can make it a smooth operating carb. (you dont need no progressive dual named carb when you got a good Rochester around-just ask Jack Benny!) Surely you remember Jack Benny?