'Way more than 50 years ago, in Texas, my father -- who sold and serviced some of the earliest "aftermarket" auto air conditioning -- hung a Frigiking under-dash unit in a 1940 Chevrolet four-door that he had rebuilt. He adapted the brackets to fit a Tecumseh compressor on the 216 and set the evaporator and fan box in the center of the dashboard where the radio had been. It made cold air wonderfully well on six volts, and the old 216 never complained about the added load.

i never have wanted any air conditioning myself, but many folk now can't live without 12 months of winter, in the house, in the workplace, and in the car. In the pneumonia hole i inhabit at work, it starts at 64 degrees every morning; by noon it's up to 66, and i get in the car and drive to the post office, so i can thaw.

In Alabama the desire for the revolving blades moving the freezing air makes somewhat more sense than in other places. Wherever i drive, Stock49's "4-60" rule works for me -- especially in a vehicle built for performance.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450