CNC-D,BotP,
The line "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?" ia followed by "If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer" and both are terms in the equation "Cost, performance, reliability; pick two".
I wanted to put the Iron Duke Hemi a '20s track-T because they are both narrow and the two foot x one foot chrome valve cover with the four plug wires disappearing down the middle sets off an alarm in most peoples minds. A Volvo 544 sedan would look cool with half-a-Hemi under the hood. I've got the motor torn down for evaluation (since 1989) cause most people still like big V-8s. Oh well, some day.
I've also got a Mic-5, 1:1 scale plate of the cast iron one in the engine. If I want to make another Hemi (a 181 would make a race strength short block) all I need to do is send a good machinist the plate and he would duplicate it; you could do most of the block work at home (other than the boring and sleeving).
But trying to find the DeSoto 345 head might be a show stopper. I found one in the Denver area.
We used to have a class of dragster called Junior Fuel, 5 liters, un-blown, nitro fuel, etc. Despite the hordes of SBCs the perennial champs seemed to the Adams/Enriquez DeSoto. It couldn't rev with the Chevies but it would burn the 98% nitro, can, label and all... and give change. The class is long since gone as well as many of the team members with their expertise.
I couldn't find anyone in Denver that had any porting experience with DeSotos so my head is totally stock. Extrude Hone would be my first choice to perk up my little 4 banger. It might be even more interesting than a 292 in my '66 Nova. (I could name it "the Morphodyte". Which part, the GM or Mopar, gives it that name is up for debate.)
If I ever get moved back home I might find my pictures of the little beast; I'll send y'all some copies. kalklein