Originally Posted By: snowman4839
I'm almost ready to get a new cam but I was thinking. I remember that the stock hood is really restrictive so would it even be worth it to replace the cam before the larger valves and porting?
And is there any problem using the stock rockers and pushrods with a new turbo cam? I'd imagine I'd need stiffer springs though.
The plan for the near future is get a turbo cam finally. Then run that for awhile. Then when I get some more money and time, take the head back off and get larger valves and do some head work (maybe lumps).
Then after all that, the only place I have to go is eventually getting forged internals or meth injection. It's almost complete! (I use that word loosely)

Yes the stock hood/head is restrictive. \:D
Yes, you will see a gain in power w/a better suited camshaft, even w/a stock head. It will not be leaps & bounds more power as it would w/a modified cyl head.
Worth it to change the camshaft w/no other changes, not really.
Yes you can still use the stock rocker arms, and stock push rods.
It would be a good idea to use new rockers & pushrods if it's in the budget though.
Need correct valve springs w/new camshaft.

I would get a custom grind camshaft from Comp cams.
A wide lobe center camshaft of 114 or wider for a street car that needs mileage also.
The roller camshaft I have, but not used yet has a 115 lobe center. But @ .600" lift & 240 degrees duration @ .050. it should rev pretty high w/a turbo.

On your current engine, have you done a compression check?

My V-6 Syclone stock head is pretty restrictive. W/a 1.94" intake valve it can flow 155 CFM @ .500" lift
here is a pick of the high swirl restrictive vane.

Here is a pic after I started removing this obtrusive vane.

Stock:

Vane removed: \:o

Sorry for the blurry pics.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI