Well I'm starting to gear up for my Packard project some of you may have read my posts on the high performance thread. After deep thought and some Google research I decided that a turbo will likely be the way I go on my 327 L8 flathead. I originally wrote a pretty detailed post but when I went to post I missed a required field and lost it all. So I will keep this one short and sweet (sort of).

I'm fairly sure no one here has a turbo Packard inline but I'm guessing a lot of tech for say a Chevy 6 or flatheads in general will carry over so feel free to give me any input that you see fit.

My engine was factory rated at 150 HP, with a good rebuild and some good old fashioned hard work I'm decently confident I can get it close to 200 HP before the addition of the turbo system. I will be using good aftermarket parts for the pistons and rods stock crank an aluminum factory head if I can find one if not I will use either my 288 head (off the spare engine) with a smaller combustion chamber or the OE 327 head depending on my compression needs. I found a local guy who can regrind my cam though I'm not expecting to get much out of it the stock specs are pretty wimpy.

My questions deal mainly with turbo size. I am guessing this thing will be pretty close to all in at the 4000-4500 RPM range so diesel turbo? usefulness of an intercooler (air to air). Fuel injection (EFI or mechanical) Or good old fashioned carb. Ignition mods IE Joe Hunt says they can make me a magneto, MSD crank trigger with hollowed out stock distributor, Pertronix electronic upgrade ect.

This will not be a drag car as such, I might get frisky and run it down the track but mainly it will be a street car wowing car show spectators and giving V8 guys a run for their money. With that said I don't want it to look like it can do way more than it actually can, not wanting a sleeper just don't want it to look like a prostock and run like a Camry so the mods need to have a purpose either giving me more performance or increasing durability.

I would like to get it built up to around the 300 HP range at a minimum but more is always better. and I do plan on having the rest of the drive train set up to use what I give it.

Any information would be very helpful as I am not overly familiar with turbos but the cost and work involved rivals a GMC supercharger or a Paxton/ Vortech setup with less negatives.