Safety... We all have our own opinions. No use trying to change them.

I had it timed for the round mark on the flywheel, so I would assume that's the one for ignition timing. I haven't seen the triangle come around when using the timing light. You're right though. We're better off to time by ear.

Well that's got to feel good getting the rest of that stuff sorted out! It shows the skills of a truly versatile mechanic; you can fix both old and new(er)! You should start up a thread for your roadster once things get moving on it. I'm sure I'm not the only one raring to see that thing come together! We can trade spots for a change. I may not be able to provide any wisdom like what you've been dishing out, but I can post plenty of "good job!"s and feel-good comments!

Progress on the '40 has been exclusively tuning and testing. Lots of anal and time consuming work. I love it. After spending hours upon hours working on the timing, I realized that the vacuum advance was not working, so I tore the vacuum advance off of the 216 Chevy that came out of the car and slapped it on to the GMC distributor. It works great! Gramps and I are happy with how it's running now. It does have a bit of a flat spot when you rev it up from idle, but that's probably just going to be the nature of it since we have such a big cam in it. It's not horrible, but it's something to work on. We also finally got some air filters for the thing which look nice. As I get more used to car, I have been able to drive it more vigorously - just testing the waters to see what it'll do. I'll tell ya though, that car goes! After we put the distributor back in this afternoon with it's new vacuum advance, grandpa and I took it out with him behind the wheel. He stuffed his foot into it pretty far coming out of a stop light and it ripped through all 4 gears no problem leaving both of us laughing like school girls. Grandpa's still got it!

Well, with 2 more days left in my much anticipated Christmas break, things are beginning to wind down for me. Shop time may become increasingly sparse, but I'm going to use the '40 as my daily driver until I leave to see what comes of it. The way I see things, if I've got two days left, the time is no where better spent than in the seat of that car - running or not.

Thanks!

Pete

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 01/10/14 02:14 AM.

--Peter Gray: #6073--

"If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson