Jay,

Headers probably won't fit. It's pretty tight between the frame, floor/firewall, engine already.. Also, the master cylinder is bolted to the frame in this area and I've already had to insulate it and the brake lines from heat.. On one trip,
before shielding the brake line, I got up in the morning to find the brake pedal going almost to the floor.. I bled out the air to restore my brakes and then put rubber fuel line hose over the
metal brake line, near the master cylinder...This occurred in the summer and I was driving in hills at low speeds and my antique Harley in the bed... Now, the brake fluid doesn't get hot...

Oh, and I also bled the living crap out of the brakes when I returned home... The fluid (DOT 3) was brown;.

So, I think headers won't be an option for me...Also, I had headers on a number of cars when I was a kid.. The noise, heat and constant leakage problems really got to be a pain..But I do think cast iron headers are the cats ass, (the best setup for cars that are driven everyday on the street).

Anyway, I'm guessin' that a healthy 258 with a Weber, progressive carb, electronic distributor will be more than adequate for my application... Now, computer controlled fuel injection, that compensates fuel mixture for altitude...That is something that peaks my interest.. Or, an aircraft style mixture control for the carburetor... You know, the thing that makes your engine backfire when you forget to enrich coming down from the mountain.......Man, I gotta get this leg fixed. I'm gettin' really way out there today...