Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
In the dyno testing we did a few years back, this puts you right in that range. As I already said, this is a problem that occurs at any and all levels of modification, from bone stock on up and is not a race only issue. So you will be affected by this problem regardless of your intentions.

As I understand it, with the 194 bathtub head, the air coming out of the intake flows out and hits the shrouded wall of the 194 chamber. It then has to turn go down and round the corner to then spread out to fill the cylinder. This reduces the flow and ruins any kind of swirl you might have. While the open head allows the mixture to flow out with minimal redirection to the edge of the cylinder. Is that oversimplifying it or is that basically the problem?

I've been running numbers with the cams I can find an ABDC for, and even with a 4cc flat top piston, zero deck and the thick .040" gasket; you got to have a 64cc chamber for a static CR of 10.0:1 to achieve a dynamic CR of 8.51:1 with a Comp Cams 260 cam to run on premium with good quench. That's a lot of milling on the stock open chamber head. You can achieve the same DCR with the Comp Cams 240 or 252 cams and a 68cc chamber. If you go bigger, the DCR starts dropping off toward the regular unleaded friendly zone. However the Comp Cams measure their ABDC at .006 instead of .050, so they might be a little higher in DCR then the math predicts.