Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
If you ask him my grandson thinks he ownes it now! I have the exact same engine in the car that you have now. My pipe coming out of the manifold is 2 1/4 inches. The stock exhaust stays 21/4 inches until the tailpipe which is 2 in. No 292 engines to my knowledge ever had an intergrated head either 1 or 2bbl.I worked at a Chevy dealer in 1978/79 when the 2bbl intergrated head first came out.(I was 3 years old at the time LOL) They were only used on 250s. 292s then still had seperate manifolds and a 1bbl carb. For some interesting reading go to the GM heartige center, then archive, then vehicle information kits. Download the 1979 chevy truck file and at the end is a good discription of the 2bbl truck engine. How did you determime that the 292 exhaust came out at the same place as what we have now? Jay 6155

Ah, the integrated head was a passenger car and SD truck part.

My integrated exhaust manifold on my 250cid has the outlet right under the #4 & #5 exhaust ports and a three stud clamp, just like the 292 2.5" exhaust manifold. Since my exhaust manifold has a 2.25" outlet, my shop should be able to run a 2.5" single exhaust to the integrated head setup, and then when I swap out the top end later it should at least be close enough to just bolt onto the 292 2.5" exhaust manifold. That way I can get my exhaust set up now, change out the top end later when I have more time and money, and avoid having to pay for two different exhaust systems. Routing the exhaust past the manual linkage will be a challenge, as I'd like to avoid the stock route of a 45 degree turn under the oil pan and then angled back under the passenger side.