Originally Posted By: Lifeguard
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
Your best bang for the buck is going to be to fully remove the bolt boss compared to leaving it intact, but reshaping it. Tom dyno tested that mod on several engines and saw no additional gains between the bolt boss untouched vs. tapered or "wing" shaped. So no, that mod doesn't give you any benefits.
Try to find the thread for the 292 dyno tests, it has a wealth of info in it and can connect the dots to many questions you might have. Titen really should have made those and the 250 dyno tests a sticky because they keep getting lost in the archives.

Yeah, my budget plan after I read his cylinder chapter was to do the valve work and cleanup to get the flow numbers that the flowchart for the Kramer head got. But I was scratching my head at what he meant by "wing shaped". Plane wings are not symmetrical in cross-sectional shape, so I assumed he meant to shape the boss like a teardrop. Taking material off on either side and then bringing to a point on the leading edge. But I'm not sure if there is enough material on the boss to create this shape? I think I'll just take the casting flash off the bosses and intake ports leaving the ports the stock size to maximize velocity with a good valve job.

I interpreted the wing as a tear drop shape as well.....may just be easier to go with the "lump" after-all.