Originally Posted By: Winter
On the photos of modified 194 heads that I have seen, none have the extent of de-shrouding that follows the current trends of cardioid, kidney, or figure 8 combustion chambers. Is this due to lack of wall material in the combustion chamber before hitting the cooling jacket, on the spark plug side of the intake valves?

Because the chamber was designed for such a small cylinder bore, the material available in the casting to unshroud it is too limited to actual accomplish it. And being able to create these newer modern chamber shapes just isn't able to be accomplished. It isn't with the open chamber head either, but you also don't have the shrouding problem either.

As far as them trying something different than these other guys. These other guys being Kay Sissell, Jim Headrick, Glen Self, Tom Langdon and General Motors....do you really want to hear my answer!LOL

I can tell you what Hank didn't do, and that is try the same mods on the open chamber head as he did the 194 head. He went from 9-1 compression on the open chamber head and increased the compression with the 194 head to 12-1. And then added side draft carbs and changed cams but gave all the credit to his gain to the head....Not a very accurate comparison! If he had then repeated those mods on the open chamber head and compared it equally at 12-1 compression he would have a different prospective. Yes he got good results with 12-1 compression with the 194 head, but he would have still been leaps and bounds ahead of the game with the open chamber head if he had done the same with it.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer