Hi everyone,
I've got a project that geared me towards this site. It's a '50 Chevy 3600, original engine is cracked and no transmission. I also have a '47, but that's going a different route (original, simple). Since the 3600 isn't as desirable and because I have had a slight itch to build an IRS vehicle, that's what my plan is. I'm collecting parts for the suspension and drivetrain, currently I have my spindles, engine, T5 transmission, and differential. However, since this is the engine section, I'll stick to my engine.

The goal of this vehicle is to have a daily driver style of a build, no crazy cams, boost, or ultra-high compression. Since the engine block was cracked, I kept an eye on Craigslist for an inline 6. I found one listed simply as Chevy 6 with a 3 speed tranny for $150 bucks. Picked it up (got a free bottle of wine with it!) and sold the transmission (minus bellhousing) to a friend who uses them in circle track cars. Tore apart the engine to see if it was buildable, so far so good. Ran the numbers and it turns out to be a 230 CI. Although I would love to have the 250 for just a little more oomph, since I'm more concerned with good fuel mileage it's not a big deal to me. That being said, if I come across a 250 crank for a reasonable amount, I'd pick it up.

Anyways, my plan is to rebuild it with a mild ISKY cam (one that requires no head mods) and to try to bump the compression a bit. I'd like around 10:1 so I can run premium fuel and still get the benefits of higher compression. I'll run the original carb and etc. However, I'm going to collect parts on the side and build a fuel injection swap for it. I'd like to pick up an Offy intake (I bought one, but it didn't have the injector flats molded), a spare head that will receive roller rockers (reduced friction equals higher mileage), lump ports, and a valve job, some cast headers, etc etc.
I plan on running a Megasquirt computer, sequential injection, etc etc. All the fuel injection is a ways away but the engine rebuild to stock is happening currently. Thanks tax return!

This build is fighting for my time with my '85 C10, '79 Z-28, and 3 customer vehicles ('70 Datsun 2000, '68 C10, '79 Trans Am). However since everything is in parts, I can sneak it in when we are slow at my normal job (auto mechanic) since I don't have to push an entire vehicle in.

I have read the Inline 6 book, studied what I can on here, but could use some help from the seasoned vets. Like I said, it's not a high HP build, I'm just basically trying to increase the volumetric efficiency as much as possible on a 50 year old engine to result in increased mileage and a little extra power.