Originally Posted By: intergrated j 78
Lifeguard, here is the info off my 78 Nova sticker. Spark plug gap .035. timing, 10@600rpm for auto w a/c 10@550rpm for auto w/o a/c 6@800 rpm for manual. Base idle speed 425 with soloniod unpluged 2100rpm fast idle for auto trans 2000 fast idle for manual trans. I set my own timing at 12 @ ~600 rpm. Made sure it was idling slow enough not to start the mechinical advance. Hope this helps. Jay 6155

Are those the auto or with AC specs, because mine is a manual and those are different from the specs I was able to finally read off of it a flashlight and magnification?

The sticker on my '78 is a silver finish with black ink printed on it and a clear layer on top, so at some point they changed from the old white decals that my '76 Camaro had. So to replicate with an ink jet is a little more challenging. The silver backing of the decal seems to be progressively breaking down. I could make a white backing decal on my inkjet and replace, and most people probably wouldn't know the difference. I also need to replace my cowl tag with a reproduction due to it rusting out. VIN number is still good and I haven't looked for the build sheet yet.

My tune-up instructions on the decal are to plug the HEI vacuum and adjust the timing to 6 degrees at 800rpm. Then to hook the HEI back up, unhook the EGR and Evap canister vacuum, and adjust the solenoid to 800 rpm idle. Since I couldn't get the engine to idle at 800 rpm while I set the timing, I just adjusted the solenoid with HEI plugged and was able to get to idle at 800 rpm with a look of turns of the solenoid. I'll try timing it with that change tomorrow (my battery has some bad cells and needs to be replaced under warranty, and I knocked my timing light clamp into the fan and shredded it, so I just got a new timing light). I took all my plugs out and gapped them to make sure they were .035" and while they are out I will try to find TDC.