Originally Posted By: 70Nova
I haven't followed the whole story here, just happened to see you mention the idle solenoid. If it's anything like mine, sounds like it's working as it should, shutting off the idle fuel feed as soon as power is disconnected. It is to prevent dieseling after you turn the engine off.
The solenoid should get power whenever ignition is on, to enable idle fuel feed. So you adjust idle speed with the solenoid energized. It's supposed to kill the engine when power goes away. It's not a high/low idle speed solenoid.

Yeah, the factory tune up decal says to disconnect it and then adjust the base idle to 425 rpm with the 1/8" hex screw in the end of the solenoid. I'm not sure how to accomplish that. Here's the instructions:

"1 – Disconnect and plug vacuum hose at distributor. Set ignition timing as specified engine speed (6 degrees @ 800 rpm). Unplug and reconnect vacuum hose to distributor."

"2 – Disconnect and plug vacuum hose at EGR valve and canister purge hose at canister. Turn carburetor solenoid to obtain specified curb idle speed (800 rpm in N)."

"3 – Disconnect electrical lead at solenoid. Adjust base idle speed to specification (425 rpm in N) by turning 1/8 hex. screw located in end of solenoid body. Reconnect electrical lead."

"4 – With Transmission in park or neutral, bend fast idle cam follower to obtain specified fast idle speed (2000 rpm in N) on high step of cam. Unplug and reconnect vacuum hose to EGR valve and canister purge hose to canister."

I've done steps 1 and 2, but step 3 does not seem possible. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?