Thanks,

your solenoid must work differently from mine. Mine is just an on/off switch for idle fuel. Nothing controls it other than ignition key, there is no "slow idle" vs. "high idle" setting to the solenoid. The solenoid on mine is always energized 100% when the engine is running. Different idle speeds (Throttle openings) come from the cam plate the solenoid tip rests against. I suppose I *could* set it to have a high and low idle, but because there is nothing controlling it, it would just stay at high idle all the time, until the engine is turned off, and then it would allow fuel to be drawn in through the idle passage after shutdown and you risk dieseling the engine.

As for idle mixture adjustment: Almost every carb is adjusted with the same principle: idle mixture screw is turned OUT in 1/2 turn increments or so, until idle speed no longer increases. Find the last 1/2 turn that did not cause idle speed to go up, and then go back IN to the previous 1/2 setting and you're done. Close enough for most needs, the rest is 1/4 turn fine tuning. The idea is to find the highest steady idle, but no more.
Idle mixture adjustments affect only idle rpms and slightly off idle throttle, like cruising speeds.

Carb adjustment should be done LAST, after everything else is in good working condition and adjusted right. Point gap, dwell, valve clearances, ignition timing, vacuum leak elimination etc. all come first.

Anyone know better please correct me.