Guys:

Scott Marshall (aka CNC-Dude) and I have done some preliminary work on developing a "blue flame" side-draft intake for the 230/250/292 inline six. Like the original, it would use three Carter YH carbs. To that end, I acquired a couple of dozen YH cores and several rebuild kits to have on hand should be get the manifold into production.

In the case of the original blue flame intake used on the early Corvettes, the YH carbs had two unique (and therefore somewhat rare and expensive) differences from all other YH application:

First, I believe the blue flame carbs have a unique throttle shaft and housing that has provisions to link the adjacent carbs together. All other variants of the carb do not have such a provision, making the throttle linkage a problem.

Second, I believe the blue flame carbs are the only variants that use manual cable activated chokes. All others either use an exhaust heated or electric choke mechanism.

Because the blue flame carbs are somewhat rare and expensive, we planned to use a jackshaft throttle linkage (similar to a number of Weber setups for inlines) so we could use the more available (and less expensive) carbs.

As for the Carbmeister, he provided me with two identical rebuilt YH carbs for a Ford y-block marine interceptor intake and they were outstanding.

The YH carbs were used on a number of applications besides the Corvette blue flame sixes. I probably will miss some but the carbs were used on the turbo Corvairs, various marine applications (including the Interceptor), the Nash, the Olds 215ci aluminum JetFire turbo (back in the early 60s), and the Latham axial flow supercharger (both 2 and 4 carb variants) to name a few.

In any event, these side-draft carbs really look "old school cool" on an inline 6 (and a pair would look great on the Chevy II 4-banger as well).

Russ

Last edited by Russ King; 05/02/14 10:56 PM.