Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
I would get better push rods, stock bend pretty easy.

Go with Comp Cam, custom grind they will/should recommend you valve springs & retainers for there camshaft and springs.

S.B.C. valves fit right in your 6 head.

Yes, new guides, (bronze type),retainers, (seals, Viton soft seal) keepers. Don't use the old school Teflon seals.
All new & matching for your components.

Stock lift is somewhere about .375" lift? .550" lift is a bunch more than stock. .500-520" lift is max I would go.
Got any specs for a custom camshaft yet?

You poor dad, gonna get spanked by your 6 \:D

Glad your pops car runs good., What was the HP & torque again?

Don't forget the methanol injection! Need to save your cast pistons from detonation somehow.

Have fun.

If I switch rockers later, will I have to rebuy pushrods assuming I buy better pushrods for the stock rockers? Also what length and what type pushrods should I get? Same as stock since I have stock rockers? Are the stock ones cast or steel? Because I found these and they're steel and should fit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7861-8/overview/ The closest thing I can find in chromoly is 9.7" long instead of the stock 9.682" http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7659-16/overview/

I called comp and lunati today. The guys at comp were kinda being dicks so I'm probably going to go with a lunati cam considering they gave a very similar recommendation.
-219* intake/exhaust @ .5"
-.5145" lift
-114* lobe separation
which sounded perfect to me.
Only hiccup is Lunati said the installed height on the valve needed to be 1.85" for their associated spring with that cam. I just took the top half of the engine off today and am going to measure what the stock installed height is to see if I need to find longer valves for that spring. Do y'all happen to know the stock valve/spring installed height? When I call them back about the springs I'll ask them about the retainers and keepers.

I'm going to keep going through beater blocks until I find the right combination of good power and reliability. Then I'm going to invest my money in the original block and get forged internals so that it'll last for the forseeable future. If I can get it to run well and not bust a $200 beater stock block, then I can swap in forged internals with the same setup and never have to worry about the pistons breaking again.

Methanol injection will be after headwork and valvetrain but before internals. I'm wrapping up all the big things I want to do to it surprisingly. Got the turbo, fuel system, intercooler, and carb all done. Now I just have the big head machine work and later on meth injection and I'll be a happy camper.

His car was 310hp and 410ft/lbs I think. But I think he has another 600lbs on me with that turbo 400 over my saginaw 4 speed and his big block over my I6. It'll be close.

Last edited by snowman4839; 05/14/14 02:38 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.