Found these rockers. Similar if not the same as what Tom offers but cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/Cams-1827-8-Magnum...er+rockers+1.75

Do you mean 2 piece springs? I'm just going off of what it looked like from Tom's pictures. Tom's feel free to chime in on the specs of the valve from that head rebuild kit.

Wow where can I get that spring compressor tool. That was the greatest thing I've ever seen.

I'd ask that company but I haven't brushed up on my mandarin recently. It wasn't a huge deal. I just wanted to know at what point it would start to hold me back but it seems like I got a while to go.

So... I had quite a day removing and tearing down the motor

That is indeed a piece of the ring landing hanging off the side of the piston

Then a little further inspection made it a wonder how it was running in the first place.
That is a main bearing with some pretty deep ridges in the center and it turned that bronze color from heat or excessive wear from lack of lube if I remember correctly.

Also scored up the crank bearing surface. Plastiguage showed clearances were .0035" so that would explain the 25psi maybe 30psi of oil pressure as opposed to the 45psi to 60psi from my first original motor.

Even the cam was starting to turn colors. I don't think I've ever seen this before. I'm guessing this too is from starvation causing excessive heat and wear.

I was planning on swapping a piston on this engine and give it another short run but after all that, it doesn't even seem worth it. Plus there's a pretty good lip near the top of the cylinder wall.

TO BE FAIR! I never checked the bearings before I installed the turbo setup so this could very well be as a result from the mileage it had on it when I bought it.

Last edited by snowman4839; 05/15/14 08:38 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.