Originally Posted By: Mitch
I do not know the original deck height. That's one of the doors of liability that is opened up by saying, "Here, cut this block to this dimension."

So, a shop would do it how? Install crank, put piston at TDC, measure deck, remove what is necessary? Yes, this is the only accurate and correct way to do it as you eliminate all assumptions based on theoretical dimensions. But bringing each piston to TDC is only half of the process, as each piston is checked in several locations for deck height. And some of them may also have to be cut to correct the deck height along with the block

I currently have my block at the machinist, but my crank, rods, and pistons here. I'm sending the pistons up to him for boring the cylinders, but I don't have the 250 crank yet. I was hoping to have the block work done, then down the road bring the rotating mass to be balanced.

I should mention my machinist is an hour away. One of the downfalls of living in a small town in the boonies. Then it would be best to gather all the parts first, and then proceed with everything all at once to eliminate excess spending and potential mistakes as well as trips back and forth.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer