There is a problem w/pump gas, the octane is not always the same, there are winter blends & summer blends of fuel.

You ever get a bad batch of gas? Car does not run like it did on the prior fill up of fuel?

Well, when this happens, if you set your timing on a tank of gas & you think everything is honky dory, but you get some bad gas, the octane is not what it is supposed to be, you go out & drive not worrying about your engine is going to detonate, because you already have it all set to run a specific boost & timing, well, you got that bad fuel, by the time you see it knocking , most likely it will be too late. The J&S will save your engine automatically.

You should read up again how the J&S system works or any factory knock retard system works. You do not know the concept. when you make a statement like this.
"Why spend $500 on something that will always pull my timing back to the same place when I can just save $450 and have something tell me where to pull it back to myself."

My A4 Audi has 10.25:1 compression, factory, it's turbocharged & it runs a decent amount of boost.
You want to know part of the reason why it can run that much compression? Electronics, they can pull timing when needed to save the engine.

More & more better electronics are available out there to help us make more power & save the engine at the same time, embrace electronics, dont knock them till you try them.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI