That's no spirit Hank!

I hadn't really considered any of this until the last week. I'm about to get this research job over the summer which will give me a lot of money for the project. Up until recently, I planned on a couple more disposable engine setups until I had enough to get a forged final setup. But with my job/awesome scholarships, I should have plenty for a new cam and valvetrain, set of forged pistons, the associated machine work. And now I can reasonably consider EFI and alky injection all within the next 8-10 months.

For almost the same price and benefits and options MS3 gives me vs J&S, I think it's a better idea. The timing control might not be as sophisticated but it offers a lot more in terms of info and control to ensure I don't grenade my big final investment.

You are right though, no way I would buy one of those TBFI systems for $2000. That's ridiculous. When I could build a SFI for $1200ish.
I'm a computer science major with a 3.94GPA that has been programming since 7th grade and messing with with microcontrollers since I was a freshman in high school. Computers are my life and the other half of my life's aspiration besides cars. I don't think a megasquirt install is what's going to beguile me.

The way it looks now, I work all summer and then come late july or august, I start amassing parts for the build. Already got the head rebuild kit from tom. Should be getting a price on the cam soon. After my first big payday, I can get that set of Ross pistons and the 7/16" studs from Tom. Then I can get ARP rod bolts and send the block and head off to machine the block for the pistons and install the pistons on the rods, resize the ends of the rods with the arp bolts, remove the old studs, mill the stud boss down, and drill and tap the boss for the new studs. Probably buy and have them install lump ports too. Already had new cam bearings installed in my first block so that's good to go.

Then comes the building the EFI system. TheSilverBuick gave me some inspiration and ideas. I'll figure that out over a couple months. Probably put the whole valvetrain in but leave the stock cam in there so I don't grind it down in case I have problems with the EFI the first few times around. Then once it's running right, just swap in the new cam, fire it up, and break it in.

TheSilverBuick - read through your whole thread. Great stuff! Awesome build! How are you planning on doing the injector bungs in the final build? Weld? Thread? How did you manage to build that fuel rail? Did you have clearance issues with that middle runner hitting the throttle body and/or the manifold itself?

Last edited by snowman4839; 05/19/14 10:30 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.