Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Snow,
You really need to sit down and plan out your build. Similar to what you are doing now. Go thru the ideas and whittle thru them, weighing the costs vs benefits. And how they line up with your final objective.
I personally like the idea of the MS system. It is very flexible and could be fully used at a later time. Easy to program too. The timing control it will give you is invaluable.

The fuel scavenging issue is a big one. I ran into it with my Turbo 292. Look at the firing order. 153624. Notice how 2 fires and 2 puts later 1 fires? Here is where it happens. 2 gets a full charge and 1 gets a partial charge. Same happens with 5 and 6. These cylinders fire too close in time to each other and therefor rob fuel charge from the lagging cylinder.

A good throttle body system will mask this and not be much of a problem until about 500 HP. Same with a carb system.

I thought I had been doing a pretty good job of that. I just happened to include the MS3 system because it was a great idea assuming it would work as expected. But now I'm going back to my original plan. Turbo cam -> roller rockers -> new valves -> forged pistons -> J&S system -> get it running and broken in -> drive it awhile -> work in alky injection -> profit. Probably do some porting an polishing while it's apart.

I'll get my timing control out of the J&S system just as well. Even as you've been saying it'll be more precise since it's by cylinder.

I don't see TBFI worth the extra money when I already have my carb setup. I already have my wideband installed for tuning. Had pretty steady mid 11 AFRs at full boost if I remember correctly. I can always drop it more if I need to The J&S will help me get my timing perfect. Those are the two major ingredients that I will have a pretty good handle on.

I think I'm on the fast track to a great motor.

Last edited by snowman4839; 05/20/14 01:23 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.