Originally Posted By: wbeaton
My car has a stock Chevy 216 that was rebuilt 10K miles ago. Since my motor runs strong I'd like to keep it and hop it up a little. I've found all sorts of info on hot rodding the 235 I6, but little on hopping up a 216. Mostly, people just say to pull the 216 and drop in a 235/261.

Hi Wayne . . . I have a warm spot in my heart for these engines. I personally like the idea of hopping up what's there. Bill Fisher's book demonstrates that there is a lot of potential in the dipper system - not to mention reliability even when souped - so long as it is setup right and not over revved.

There are several different intakes to choose from for the 216. If one is sticking to One Barrels - then the Nicson, McGurk and Edelbrock are high on my list - with the quirky art-deco Thickston a close second.

For my build I will be using the 2nd design two deuce from Eddie Edmunds

It was designed for use with Stromberg 97s - but those are too much carb for a 216. The smaller venturi Stromberg 81 would work much better (but they are uber rare). Instead I will run a pair of Carter WCDs.

The Edmunds manifolds allow one to run headers because the core of the manifold includes a water jacket (hence the plumbing in the picture above).

With a bone stock 216 I think the most important element for an Edelbrock dual will be the carbs. An identically matched set is a must (same carb number plate). As CNC-Dude has indicated, using carbs originally intended for a smaller OEM application is also a good idea. For example, the Carter W-O model 513s was used on the Nash 172 - the model 507s was fitted to the diminutive Willy's 134.

Keep us posted on your mods. Glad to hear you're keeping it inline.

regards,
stock49