Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
I still disagree with the turbo sizing. Maybe the full boost at 3000RPM is what caused the destruction of 2 of his engines. That and wrong fuel/ timing controls. A costly learning mistake for Snowman.

Just curious what size do you think was appropriate size for his 100% completely stock engine?

That turbo was almost a perfect size for what he was doing IMO.
The turbine wheel was too small though.

And even if the A/R was to small as you say, how was he able to control his boost pressure as you could not on your 292?

Not starting anything here, just curious.

His first engine had the wastegate hooked up incorrectly & over boosted like crazy, then he hooked it up correct. Little late.

A/F ratios were off the chart lean, timing, who knows.
He started with it all in the lean conditions & then worked his way down to being a little richer., better to start the other way, rich then tune to lean it.
Straight pipe exhaust system & no muffler, perfect for hearing detonation. NOT!

Running 87 octane 15 -25 psi of boost, timing too far advanced, no intercooler (til later), running too lean A.F ratio, those all contributed for the engine failures, not because the turbine A/F was too small.

I forgot to mention, stock, my Syclone would see full boost 15-19 psi by 2100 RPM. That is how they were designed to do work for a daily driver from the factory.

On the Syclone the turbine A/R is .57 on a 4.3 liter engine, that is a 262 C.I. engine
Here are the turbine sizes from stock (8)CM) to larger than stock, to standard size A/R's

8 = 0.57 = good for stock 2100 Stall converter
10 = 0.7125 = good for stock 2100 stall converter
12 = 0.855 = can work OK but really needs 2400 stall converter
14 = 0.9965 = no way in hell is OK to use w/a stock 2100 stall torque converter, works best w/a 2800 stall converter

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI