Originally Posted By: snowman4839
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585

The center of the piston has nothing to do with checking deck or zero decking! Cutting the pistons is the only way you can ever get all 6 of them to have the same quench, just decking the block will not do this.

I understand that. I was talking about cutting material from the center of the piston to reduce CR, I wasn't talking about decking.
So since they'll have to cut all the pistons anyway to set quench after the decking, then it shouldn't be hard to notch them to set the CR right?

First you need to tell us what your target compression is that your going to actually shoot for. Cutting material from the center of your piston isn't necessary if you can get your chamber opened up enough by polishing. By ending up with .015" quench, that is all you need to do to get your compression where it needs to be. I also have heard many top blower engine builders say that quench isn't as important in these engines as it is in a N/A engine. So if you go a little past .060" total, it isn't going to be a tragedy, especially with 15 psi boost.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer