I'm back! I know I said previously that Spring Break (March) would be the next Chevy fun-fest, but like usual school and grades got in the way of that. Anyhow, now I'm back for a brief Summer break! I've been home for 2 weeks and have 3 left before I go back for Summer School (then a Co-Op building old Detroit Diesel Engines in the Fall!!!)

I've been using the Chevy as my daily driver for the last two weeks and I have to say, up until about 4 days ago, it was doing real well! It ran okay (besides a big flat spot when you put your foot into it) and did fine putting around town! We put a set of Zenith adjustable main jets (available at CarbsOnly in L.A.) in it about 4 days ago and that's when the problems began. After fiddling around with the tuning myself for ages, we had a friend of ours (who used to be a GM mechanic) take a look at it. He tightening up the bolt holding the points from flopping all over the place and had the motor running like a song in no time! Better than ever! Before leaving, he did add that the distributors on these motors were lousy and that ours was getting pretty warn out. Sure enough, the next night after the car was cleaned, prepped, fluids topped off, jankey tachometer installed for the 2 hour drive to San Jose for the Bay Area Inliners International Annual Picnic & Car Show, something changed in the distributor and the car started running like a one-legged cow again. It was too late to do any more tuning, so grandpa and I admitted defeat and loaded it on the trailer for the Car Show. That kinda ruined my whole "cars are meant to be driven! No trailer queen here!" rant I had worked up for the Picnic. Anyhow, I did put up a sign at the show that said "Need Mallory Distributor!" and within 30 minutes of arriving I already had one bought from one of the many nice people there. That's where we are now! Waiting on a fancy new distributor to arrive in the mail. For now I'll have to be content with hitching rides from grandpa and the parents in their new-fangled machinery. What a bore! :-)

Real quick, because I know I've written way to much already, I have to give a shout out to all the nice people from the Bay Area Inliners for giving me such a warm welcome to the club. This club has treated me so well I cannot thank you enough for letting me take part. It's more than just an automobile club to me, it's like a second family!

Thanks all!

Pete

--Peter Gray: #6073--

"If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson