Thanks for the info Beater. I guess I'll just stick with the old points then. Makes my life a whole lot easier!

Today was a good day. Not only because we got a bunch done on another car my dad and I are working on, but because we got a bunch done on the Chevy too!

My plan for this evening was to just swap the old distributor for the new Pertronix "Flame Thrower" distributor to see if how the car would run. It should have been a bolt-in deal. However, when I dropped the new distributor in, the dang thing was so huge that it wouldn't even come close to being able to fit without major modifications to the side cover. (Should've seen that coming!) After that, I stared at that pretty Mallory Distributor for a little while and finally decided to go ahead and hack it to bits.

First off was drilling the hole to fasten the drive gear on the distributor shaft. It was nerve racking, but my little setup (pictured below) did a pretty good job of holding it level and steady.

Secondly I had to chuck the whole distributor into the lathe to cut a place for the clamp to mount. Again, very nerve racking because I only took off the cap and rotor! Everything else was flopping around!

Then, without too much hassle, the distributor slipped into place locking into both the cam shaft and oil pump! No sweat!

Today was a mechanics dream. The normal problems were encountered while trying to assemble bits, however nothing went catastrophically wrong! No "one step forward and two steps backwards." All steps forward today. I love it!

Thanks!

Pete

P.S. I thought I'd throw in this lovely letter we got a few days ago from our neighbors. They were sure happy with me tuning the Jimmy after midnight! Hilarious, because they were the ones that decided to live next to a farm!

Last edited by BlackJackPG; 05/30/14 04:22 AM.

--Peter Gray: #6073--

"If at first you don't succeed,
Try, try again."
-William Edward Hickson