I recently changed the exhaust on our 250 from dual 2.25" pipes with glass packs and short exits behind the cab to a homemade 'Y' pipe into a 2.25 I/O 'turbo' muffler that still exits near the rear of the cab. The muffler is a local muffler shop's store brand. The results were more than surprising. The amount of low end power (sub 2000 rpms) is outrageously better. The top end did seem to suffer a bit, but most of the driving is not done over 4000.

For some background, we took on the exhaust changeover due to the old system rusted and broke after 4 Upstate NY salt covered road winters (surprise!), and we were looking something a little less noisy, but still 'throaty'. We did the project at home without the aid of a pipe bender. Also, we are running Langdon headers.

Right after the change I thought it seemed like it ran better, but after driving it for several days I found that I can pull hills that I never used to be able to without shifting down and with much less throttle. It also lost a hesitation that it used to have around 18-1900 when cruising and then applying more throttle. The only thing I assume is that the additional back pressure and/or less scavenging effect of the smaller exhaust is beneficial. And now I can hear the radio when driving and I don't have to shut it off when ordering at the drive through:)

I wish I had put it on a chassis dyno prior to changing the exhaust, so as to have a better, real number comparison. But I never really thought that the duals were hurting the driveability that much.

Haven't posted in a while, but log in occasionally and check things out. FYI - we've put almost 40K on the 250 since the rebuild and it still runs the same as when we first put it together.

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.