Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
An easier way to take the valves out are to use a rag, place it inside of the combustion chamber use a socket & a hammer & tap on the socket, the keepers will pop right out usually w/a couple of hits.
This probably cant be done with supper stiff springs, unless you have a bigger hammer. eek

When the valve tips are mushroomed, you would use a smooth cut file & file the top side of the tips down, this way, it won't damage the guides.

MBHD

That was how I did the first couple and I think that was what caused the mushroomed tip because the socket I used slipped. I also didn't want to destroy the springs since I might have to use them for break in assuming they fit the new head setup.

I actually did try to file the mushroomed tip but I didn't spend much time on it as it wouldn't have made a difference because the guides will be drilled out anyway.

Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
It would be a good idea for them to check the main housing bores while its there. They may be able to polish the journals some to get a few tenths more clearance. The rod housing bores and main housing bores can often be adjusted to achieve the bearing clearances you want if the crank isn't being turned.

There is a .001" spread from the high to low tolerance of the rod and mains housing bores, so it just depends on where all of this falls as to how they might proceed to get you there.

That's what I was going to have them do. I was going to tell them how out of round the #6 bearings was and tell them to check out the bore to see if it was the actual bore or just a messed up bearing.

I'm going to try to have them shoot for 0.0025" on each main clearance.

I still don't understand how that one bearing could've been that bad!? Is it possible to just have a bad bearing from the factory that would've given readings like that? It's going to drive me crazy that I didn't swap in another good bearing and measure it to see if it was the bearing or the bore.

Also why would the standard set be that small? I mean they're pretty consistently .0015" +- .0001" besides #5 and #6 and #5 could've just been a bad reading.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.