Hello,

I am located in Agua Dulce, CA...Just North of Santa Clarita.
The 195.5 OHV that I hopped up (thanks in part to Tom Jennings
postings) went to a good home...The fella I sold it to, is transplanting it into a 1962 American convertible.. It currently
has a 195.5 flathead in poor condition... He's really gonna like
the Elgin cam and compression in my old 195.5..

I changed the engine as part of a complete drivetrain upgrade.
The main reason? A whiney, seapy, smelly transfer case... It was never designed for the highway speeds and distance the Rambler engine subjected it to...I also had overdrive in the old
setup.

I figured that the only way to get rid of the Dana 18 short comings was to upgrade to a newer transfer case...This decision was made after upgrading and replacing everything in the transfer case...

I found the new transfer case and overdrive transmission bundled with a 258 engine...And after finding numerous postings
on other websites saying the 258 wouldn't fit without butchering
up the truck, I decided that what the heck, I must look into the matter...

My truck already had the front crossmember lowered to allow the
Rambler engine... All I needed to do to make the 258 fit was
cut a small window in the crossmember..

The installation is now complete.. The 258 runs as good as
the 195.5, but with a bit more power.. And according the gauges
it has better oil pressure (45 psi hot) and runs cooler...And I
used the Rambler 195.5 radiator so, the 258 waterpump must flow better or putting the fan in front of the radiator instead of behind it, improves cooling..

Again, I loved that little Rambler 195.5. But, I am really
liking the 258. I still have to change axles (for higher gearing) but so far, getting rid of the noise, oil drip and smell of the Dana 18 is like having a brand new truck.

Oh, almost forgot...Tom, I purchased and installed a brand new, big head Delco electronic distributor... It was cheap and
brand new...It also has mechanical and vacuum advance..Two things I am familiar with...I starting working on cars and trucks in the 1960's.. I really enjoy working on vintage
stuff... (Because I am vintage)... However, your postings
on modern upgrades are interesting and give me something to
ponder..I'm glad you are sharing your work..You and others
on this website are quite excellent.

Last edited by Melon; 07/30/14 01:16 PM.