It's time to build the little 250. I posted this at camaros.net but those guys don't know engines with less than 8 pistons.

My neighbor is a medical equipment technician. He's also a car man among car guys. I've never met an artist with better abilities than him. He pretty much has a mini machine shop in his garage.

His baby is a Datsun z that has a full Ferarri 250 GT kit car body, hand built suspension that rivals many supercars, hand built interior to mimic the 250 GT, a 370z motor mated to a 6-speed manual, custom exhaust, etc, etc. It's really too much to list here without pics but suffice to say there's kit cars and there's his kit car.

In his last iteration he had a inline engine, I think a Datsun, in the car that he converted to EFI with a custom kit he created. He's no longer using it.

So I popped in his garage Friday to discuss world issues, petrol, and bonnets(since he's a Brit). I showed him a couple of my latest changes to my 68 and tossed him the keys. We went for a half-hour drive and I suppose he deemed my car worthy because he brought up his EFI kit. He knows i want to build the 6 and that I just won first at Camaro nationals for mild modified.

We started talking about the build. Turns out my car's been on his mind a bit.

He's suggesting the following to start:

Install his EFI system with a custom, hand-made polished aluminum intake, tubular header by Clifford, dual exhaust, and see how it goes. Then follow it with pulling the head, lump ports, over-sized valves, roller rockers, and a mild cam. Build it with a future turbo in mind.

For the intake we're going to weld bungs for the injectors close to the head so each injector squirts next to the cylinder instead of upstream so we don't have to deal with heating it. Use smaller runners for higher torque and velocity. Combine them to a 3 inch throttle body and pull cool air from up front by cutting a hole through the radiator support near the headlight. Toss in two O2 sensors for proper tuning.

This set up should make it easier to add a turbo or supercharger in the future.

Keep the 2-speed powerglide, swap out the diff gears and add an Eaton posi, possibly make a new driveshaft for weight, and go from there.

We're thinking we'll make it a mix of old and new using the original drive train but highly modified.

Does anyone have better suggestions? Going for a highly unique build just because, well, we can.

We can fab up just about anything so I'm not looking for kits or expensive aftermarket systems.