Tlowe,

Heating up an intake I am sure it should speed up the heat cycle on a cold engine.

One time I installed the intake manifold heat cross over block off plates on my 350 S.B.C. It was horrible on a cold mornings. But once warmed up ,not a stumble. Freakin thing (intake manifold) also got too hot to touch after driving for a bit.
I later installed the plates with the small holes, which worked perfect on cold mornings. Cold I mean in the 50's.

Have you ever used a infrared temp reading gun on your intake manifold?
http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/Tempgun?gclid=CIWxoIuQxMACFchgfgodrDQASg

Just wondering, how cool do you think the intake manifold (sitting just above the headers or exhaust manifold) is after driving around with the hood shut?

I know, I do not want to touch the intake manifold after I have been driving around for a bit.

It does not get that cold here where I am.
Never had carb icing conditions or problems.

I also doubt that heating my intake manifold would have gained me any better ET.
Heck, I would have still held a record for the quickest ET, for what class my Camaro would have been in. According to the last info I got from Harry Blecha.

14.3 ET, (slow to me mind you).
My daily driver combo:
10:1 250 CI, Clifford, 500CFM AFB carb, headers, 4speed 4:10 gears, large chamber head w/1.94" intake 1.60" exhaust valves.
Camshaft specs "solid" was around 520" lift 236 degrees duration @ .050 on a 110 lobe separation. From ED @ Camonics
This was an uncorrected ET @ a 3000 Ft altitude track (on average the norm is .5 second slower, so corrected it would have been a 13.8 in the 1/4.

Not bragging by any means, I kept getting beat from most V-8's mad

I think once he (the OP, original poster) gets a wide band reader, he can actually see what the A/F ratio is when he stomps on it, cruising around, that will be the best tool to get for him.

He could try & use a heated intake manifold, but I doubt that will cure his problem.
He would get better results if he switched to a Offenhauser intake manifold over a heated intake manifold, But that is still a debate I guess. eek

I will take a guess here & say, that the average person trying to tune a carb will not know if the A/F ratio is rich, lean or somewhere in-between.

Not saying this is the case w/the OP here, but just saying.

A wide band reader will tell you how your acceleration squirt is, too rich, lean.
It will also tell you if the duration on you cam pump squirted is too short, a shot.
Best tool for tuning, especially if you are not too familiar with any one particular carb.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI