i drive ramblers. i live on a desert island and reinvent everything.

carbs are carbs. they are subtle devices. y'all talk about "carburetor water heating" but more correctly, it's "carburetor constant temperature". it's not just the "heat" that's important, it's the *CONSTANT* temp that matters.

you want most of the intake above the temp that gasoline becomes a vapor. i actually instrumented my intake and found that air+fuel intake physics drops the mixture temperature 95 degrees F below the coolant temperature -- the physics of carbs is very complex. http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/195.6OHV/Intake/index.html (scroll down) (my current head has three separate temp sensors, the new computer will read them all, so bug me later if you want info)

when fuel falls to the plenum/runner/intake floor, mixture osclliates instantaneously between rich and lean, even if the AVERAGE is correct. the engine will run like crap even with the plugs (averaging) looking good.

in short, you want carb+runners to be at or above coolant temp, and more or less constant, or nothing will make sense. at WOT the evaporative cooling effect is quite substantial; the mixture moves rapidly, spends little time (millseconds) in the runners, while that doesn't allow for much heat energy transfer from iron to gas, fuel that *does* fall out (droplets) really needs to re-evaporate get inducted and burned ASAP.

all of these variables are negated with power FI. relationships of fuel density and all that are not linear just above and just below gasoline's boiling point, so seat-of-the-pants understanding of what's going on in there is not necessarily correct.

OK i got crawl back under my rock now...