I picked this up yesterday and have no idea what it is. I got it from the owner of the Virginia Truckee Railroad. It sat for years inside the V&T depot in Gold Hill, Nevada. It was recently moved to the rail road yard in Virginia City. Because of it's railroad connection I suspect it powered some kind of motor car either hauling passengers or repair tools and workers.

It is a 4 cylinder overhead valve gas engine. It has a 3 speed transmission with clutch and brake pedals mounted from the bell housing. The crankcase is cast aluminum. The cylinders and head are cast iron and the timing cover and oil pan are stamped steel. Although there are numbers stamped all over it I have not found a name or logo anywhere. The distributer/mag?, starter, and generator all have stamped sheet aluminum Delco ID plates. Dates on the distributer range from 1917 to 1919. The carb is a brass side draft with a slide. The mounts are part of the crankcase casting. The distributer, generator, and fuel pump are gear driven from inside the main casting on the front lower right side. The head has four exhaust ports, one intake port and four water ports. There are four pop-off breathers on the valve cover and what looks like what was a glass cylinder with a float to show the oil level. ANY IDEAS?

MORE PICTURES

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 09/30/14 03:05 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain