I changed this topic's name because now we know what it is and we can keep the Essex 4 banger stuff here. I am learning a lot and will share some of it here.

Lifted from another site.(Remarkablecars.com)

1919 - Hudson introduced the Essex as a seperate brand.

The first generation 1919 Essex was known for its superior performance. The F-head four-cylinder engine turned out 55 horsepower. The car's angular body lines also contributed to its performance.

Many staged demonstrations proved that the Essex was a hot little car. In 1919 an Essex completed a 50-hour, 3,037.4 miles endurance test in Cincinnati, Ohio, at an average speed of 60.75 miles per hour.

One of the most famous races took place in August 1920 and featured four Essex cars. Two started from the East Coast and two from the West Coast. Each carried a mail pouch and, like the Pony Express riders of old, relief drivers were sworn in as letter carriers. The average time for the quartet was 4 days, 21 hours and 32 minutes. The race generated tons of publicity.

The early Essex cars also captured many hill climb records. In a special Essex race car, Glen Shultz won the 1923 Pike's Peak Hill Climb in 18 minutes, 47.4 seconds. This broke the previous record set by Ralph Mulford in a 1916 Hudson.

Essex Model A Instruction Book

1922 Essex Build

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 09/30/14 03:31 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain