Originally Posted By: efi-diy
Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
SNIP
Why are many rodders still building Flathead Ford V8s at twice the cost of a SBC with half the potential HP output? I guess some (many) folks like traditional engines. Otherwise Inliners International would have little reason to exist. You could just hook up with one of many modern techno geek websites that deal with modern tuner car engines.

Except the 4200 is not a tuner car engine now is it - it came in a GM truck.

The original stock engine turbo build cost:

$1000 for the engine
$800 for the turbo
$200 for the MS2 kit.
$750 for the turbo manifold.

Mind you this was in 2007/8 so things have changed - the cost of the engines have dropped. I could have gotten a good used turbo but didn't.

Quite a few people are now using the stock exhaust manifold and a U up pipe to mount the turbo on and have good results.

For a budget build this should be doable for ~$2000 with a used engine/turbo.

Go look at what others are doing - vortec4200.com

Thanks for some info, not all though. frown

Just trying to help you out on selling the 4200 over here on this forum.
Since you continually suggest for guys to stop wasting there money on the 194-292's & to install a 4200 for cheaper for more power.

A good break down on what parts to get & parts needed to build one of these would serve your cause better I would think.

A master list of parts & cost would be great for you to post here instead of just saying the same thing over & over & over again, with nothing to back up your plan of installing a 4200.

J.M.O.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI