This is the only set of instructions that timing set came with. Here's the instructions and it didn't say anything specific about heating it.

Also that deep scratch I found might have actually been there before polishing. I can feel it with my nail but it doesn't have sharp edges like it is fresh (I think). Also, there is a ring all the way around that bearing surface right next to it so whatever made that groove might've created this groove when it exited or embedded itself in the bearing when it was last running. It was just odd that the deepest part isn't a ring and that it juts off to the side. That's the only thing that makes me think that it still might have been them.

I saw an idea online that I'm going to try. Taking an old bearing and cleaning it up, then rubbing it along the surface of the crank to see if it puts scratches in the bearing material. If it does, it has high spots and needs a polish or at least some way to knock it down. If not, then it's fine and will just be a groove to hold oil.

Twisted6: Any chance you noticed some odd signs on the cam or gear beforehand that gave any indication that it would fail?

Last edited by snowman4839; 12/13/14 09:30 PM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.