Yup. I just had to keep at it a little bit more on the sanding. The feeler gauges I could fit in the cap's bearing were pointless because it wasn't on the actual cap so it didn't account for how much the bearing cap would push out the thrust surface. When I put the thrust bearing cap on, it was still pretty darn tight and defiantly not >.0060".
EDIT: I did sand it on a piece of glass to keep everything straight and kept it flat.

After a little more filing and fitting, I got it almost perfect at .0042" when measured dry. (Looks like .0043 in the pic)

So now that I got the crank's end play correct, I began the last teardown and cleaning so that I could reassemble everything with assembly lube.

After that, I torqued everything down in the spiral sequence. Set the thrust surface. Re-checked the end play which ended up being .0035" or .0036" which made sense with the viscous assembly lube reducing the clearance some. Everything turned smoothly by hand.

Next up, cam and pistons!

Last edited by snowman4839; 12/16/14 02:30 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.