Got some more work done today. Mostly just the cam installation.

Got the cam out, cleaned with brake cleaner. Blew it off with the air gun. Looked great

except for a bit of surface rust on the far bearing journal. Wiped it down with laquer thinner and I couldn't feel it with my fingers so I wasn't concerned about it.

It's ready to go in

Easy as 1,2,3

With nicely greased lobes

But then the other news would be that I started to work on the rings. I put them in the #1 cylinder to check all of their gaps. The tops came out to .0021"-.0022" and bottoms came out to .0017"-.0018". I was concerned that one of the tops was .0017" but it turns out that the shop put one of the bottom rings in the top ring bag. Was freaking out and getting mad at the shop when I noticed I had 7 rings in the top ring bag and 5 in the bottom ring bag haha.
I'm calling the day a little early because I'm going to order some Quickset (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tsr-qs) and some ring pliers to put it together.

I had forgotten to mention yesterday that the crank TURNS OVER LIKE BUTTER!!!! soooo smooth. Even with the cam in, I can turn everything over by hand. It's awesome. Never been able to do that with an engine I had put together. Correctly machined parts make all the difference.

PLEASE CONTINUE HELPING ME WITH THAT FINAL COMPRESSION RATIO CHOICE. I have one vote for 9.0:1.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.