Had a productive day. Got all the rings measured and on the pistons. Got all the cylinders cleaned up. Got all the pistons in.

I started the day realizing that I hadn't put in the rear main seal. After kicking myself, I took off the main caps, was able to lift the crank up just a hair, and rotate in the rear main seal.

Then put everything back together.

and retorqued everything and reseated the thrust surface. Still got .042" of thrust clearance.
EDIT: Actually looking back... I think I installed that rear main seal backwards. UGHHHHHH *facepalm*.
DOUBLE EDIT: Do y'all put silicone sealer under the rear main seal cap right next to the rear main seal? Like under the cap at the edge of the block? Like how they do on small block chevys like this

After the first two pistons in

Then 4...

Then plastigauge the rods...

The rods were between .0016"-.0020" oil clearance.

Then I started looking at the oil squirting hole on the fourth rod... and trying to get the orientation down... and looking at the bearing... and noticed something odd...
Old bearing on the left, new on the right.

They don't have any split in the bearing to supply oil to the oiling hole! I could've sworn I ordered another set of what I had before but nosiree! So I might just run that old set considering it's never been in a running engine. At least swapping out rod bearings isn't that hard.

MBHD - no. the rods weren't polished or shot peened. The engine shop made a good point that if something were to fail on this engine, it would likely be a bearing, cam, or piston problem before I had a problem with my rods. So I just told them to forgo it.

CNC-Dude - no the pins were not offset. But I'm fairly confident on the orientation based on the oiling hole.

Last edited by snowman4839; 12/19/14 02:42 AM.

69 Buick Special Deluxe. Intercooled Turbo Chevy 250 @ 15psi on a stock long block. It's kinda fast.